Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Field - Yesterday & Today (2009, Kompakt)

Ok, hopefully this review here will convince some people that we aren't simply a blog secretly run by Vivian Girls. As you can no doubt tell by the albums I've reviewed I'm not exactly an electronic aficionado. And when a Swedish electronic artist named Axel Willner started picking up huge hype back in 2007 for his debut LP "From Here We Go Sublime", I was expecting total disappointment. With words like "minimal techno", "micro house" and even (gulp) "trance" being throw around I absolutely expected to either hate it or be bored to death by it. By some miracle, that first listen made me a huge fan of The Field and after 2 years of surviving on remixes and an EP, I finally have a new full length to sink my teeth into. Damn, was it ever worth the wait.

The Field hardly reinvents himself on his sophomore effort, nor does he really need to. After my first listen I was convinced he has never written a bad song, and until he does he can stick to any formula he wants. His usual MO is stamped on every song; complex drum loops, lush piano lines and hypnotic vocal samples. There are some new, longer samples dropped in a few of his songs, and Battles drummer John Stanier makes a cameo on the title track. The album remains consistent through and through with a perfect build and release pattern on each track, creating a relaxing and thoroughly engaging work. I mentioned earlier that I don't think the Field has written a bad song, well on "Yesterday & Today" he certainly hasn't started.
The Field- The More That I Do(mp3)

No comments:

Post a Comment