Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Vivian Girls - Live at the Middle East Upstairs (5/10/09)



First band up on this fun little night of punk was Libyans, a band that I regret having not heard until now. Apparently the had a song in Rock Band 2, and while I could go on about how I suck at those kinds of games, I'd rather talk about how hard these four rock. Blistering punk, a great throw back to riot grrl style early 90s chick punk. The lead singer is especially impressive, having a voice that is flawless for the genre of music. Breakneck energetic music, and unlike what was to come the set ended with me still having my hearing.



Yeah, that is how you make noise rock. While I wasn't too taken by Brooklyn's Stupid Party, they certainly know how to create a sound and then shatter ear drums with it. Gut rumbling bass mixed with buzz saw guitar and thundering drums, the music itself jumping between fast hardcore and sludgy slow breakdowns. It wasn't exactly my cup of tea, dragged a little for me but I can report that the buzz that they left in my ears is showing no signs of stopping.

Vivian Girls



Finally at the end of a very long tour, fuzz poppers/blog darling the Vivian Girls took the stage and proceed to absolutely tear the house down. Starting with 2 blistering cuts from their eponymous debut "All the Time" and "Such a Joke" followed by a new song and "Never See Me Again". Then, almost as if sensing my concern that it would simply be a straight run through their lone LP, they dove into 5 straight new songs. From "Lake House" which has just started popping out, the "Second Date" an excellent B-Side off their latest 7" they kept it fresh and fast paced. They no doubt bring a charm to their live shows that makes their fairly simple music feel as fresh and exciting as the first time I heard it.

After the new song block they pulled out another 7" tune with "Surfin" and then jumped furiously into "Wild Eyes" and "Tell the World". Clearly no one was happy to hear that they had reached their last song, but they made sure to go out with a bang. They busted out my personal favorite track from their first LP "Damaged" and from there went into a beyond intense jam. As Cassie attacked her guitar with a tambourine and a huge wall of feedback was created, Katy offered up her bass for the normally guitar playing girl to take over. From there she moved over to drums sending drummer Ali over to guitar. Now with everyone on a radically different instrument they busted out another brutal wall of sound for a good 3 or 4 minutes before ending, in typical fashion, with big grins on their faces. You would never know it was the second of last show of a very long tour, and the girls are some of the most approachable and friendly indie musicians I've had the pleasure of meeting. A great start to a week that has a new more show reviews on deck. Also don't forget to check my previous entry for some from the source news about the new Vivian Girls album and check back here for video of the final 10 or so minutes of last nights show.

No comments:

Post a Comment